- Not much changed on the short holiday week. Breadth did come in a bit on the broad level with the market weakness (as expected).
- Short term indicators did come off the high some, but are just starting to form potential divergences. Breadth Thrust Indicator only of slight concern.
- May to present still looks like a rotational or “running” correction has been playing out; if so, this leg will be larger than most predict.
- No signs of breadth deterioration that usually accompany major topping patterns. Uptrend remains on solid footing.
- Sector structure is optimal for strong markets with cyclical sectors continuing to lead and show strong breadth while doing it.
- AD Line showed more volatility this week, but not enough to cause any concern. Some even improved overall for the week.
- McClellan Summation Indexes are still suggesting the moves can have room to expand higher.
- Basic Materials was last week’s Sector Highlight and it continued to improve this week with Precious Metals making a notable move. More to come in 2014.
- Real Estate is discussed as a potential bottoming pattern starting here in this week’s Sector drill down.
What We are Watching:
- The Barbell affect worked last week on a relative strength basis, but at this point, Small Caps seem better positioned into January, but overall both ends look strong. $QQQ $DIA $IWN $IWM
- Longer term still think $DIA can surprise if we have new leg up with traditional names you know perking up everywhere.
- Sector concentration should stay with Technology, Industrials, Financials and Consumers until they show any signs of weakness. Financials look great here. $XLF $IAI $IAK $XLK $IYK $IYJ
- Basic Materials are still in the early stages, so look close at its ETF RS Rankings.
- Real Estate to see if it can continue to solidify the bottom it is trying to put in. ETF RS Rankings as well as Individual RS Ranking lists are a good place to start. $IYR $MORT $ROOF $VNQ
Thanks for taking the time to review this report. If there are improvements I can make, I would love to hear them. Please email me at email@example.com and please include your Stocktwits or Twitter handle.
Good luck this week. It is there for the making!
G. Thomas Lackey Jr, CMT CFP®
Follow me on StockTwits and Twitter @gtlackey
(All market data above are derived from Stockcharts.com, Esignal, and Reuters Datalink)
The information set forth herein was obtained from sources which we believe to be reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy. Neither the information, nor any opinion expressed, constitutes a solicitation by us of the purchase or sale of any securities or commodities.
There is no guarantee that the views expressed in this communication will become reality.
Investing in the stock or bond markets involves risk and potential loss of principal. Investment strategies should be thoroughly vetted and discussed with a financial advisor prior to implementing.